Edible Treasures

>> Friday, May 30, 2008

Wednesday afternoon Tim stopped off at the Ollie's Garden Patch to pick up some more veggie starts for our garden. He purchased some lemon cucumber and two different kinds of squash. He also picked up a box of not-so-good-looking fresh produce. He paid a whole dollar for this box of veggies and fruit, a box most people would have walked right past. But there were edible treasures hidden within this box.

Some of these treasures were tomatoes. They did have some black spots on them but all I had to do was cut 'em out. Let me tell you what I did with these plump, red, juicy 'mators. I concocted a mean batch of salsa. I didn't follow a recipe...I guessed at what I thought would be good. Here are the ingredients I used:

  • Onions (lots of onions)
  • Cilantro (fresh from our garden)
  • Lime juice
  • Salt
  • Garlic cloves
  • and of course, Ollie's Specialty Black-Spotted Tomatoes

I think it turned out pretty fine. But the true test will be when Tim gets home tonight and tries my concoction. Hopefully he'll be as pleased as I. (He'll probably say it needs cinnamon...he adds cinnamon to everything.)

5 comments:

Heath Clan May 30, 2008 2:20 PM  

Yum, could I stop by tomorrow and have some? I would probably even help you clean the church if you said yes:)

Michele @ Frugal Granola May 30, 2008 8:26 PM  

Yum!! :) Your salsa sounds so good.

I love lemon cucumbers, too! I ordered some from Azure, but they didn't come. :(

(Ok... what is it with the cinnamon? :) Calvin does the same thing!)

We just finished off our last jar of peach jam I made last year from Ollie's peaches.
Michele

Leslie May 30, 2008 9:23 PM  

You all sound like you are having such a good "beginning of the summer"! Hope you are all well. I enjoy your blog, and have shared it with our relatives in Houston...they love it too. We all agree that you have beautiful children! We're a smart lot, aren't we!? Have a great weekend...we are enjoying being together again before I head back to TX. And...I've never had a lemon cucumber before. I'm looking for some plants tomorrow!

Thanks for the great blog! Love to you all!

Leslie in MO

Kacey May 31, 2008 9:09 PM  

It's because cinnamon really accents the tomato flavor. I put a little cinnamon in everything tomatoey.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP