Surrender

>> Sunday, August 31, 2008

The date is July 5, 2004. My contractions begin just around 8:30 AM. Tim and I get the kids lined out and then head to our midwife's office. This is my first pregnancy and delivery with a midwife. I am so excited and yet at the same time so scared.

We arrive at Laura's and my contractions are definitely stronger. With the help of Tim and encouragement from Laura, I decide to take advantage of her jetted bathtub. Incredible relief. I stay in there for some time...waiting for the moment when I get the urge to push. The urge comes. Tim helps me out, I put on a shirt, and walk slowly to the bed. I lay on the bed and begin to push. And push. And push. Intense pain. Major, intense pain. Severe, major, intense pain. I cry out and tell them that I cannot do this. It hurts. I'm scared. Laura, in her gentle and calm voice, reassures me that I can (and will) and explains to me that our baby won't be born until I surrender my body to the pain. She explains to me the definition of surrender and it all makes complete sense. Seconds later Katie Jane Walker is out of my womb and in my arms.

Fast forward 4 years. The date is July 21, 2008. I take a pregnancy test and it comes back positive. Oh the emotions that rush over me. I can't wait to tell Tim and yet I am reluctant. We are having lunch at George Fox University when I pull out the pregnancy test and show him, tears streaming down my face. I am so excited and yet at the same time so scared.

Weeks go by. I know I am pregnant. I know I have a child growing inside of me. I know that this child is a gift from our Creator God. But I am scared. I am scared to accept that I am pregnant. I am scared to be excited. I am scared to love another child and have it taken from me. I don't want to lose another baby. I don't want to face another death. I don't want to add another name to the list. I don't want to surrender.

But I have no options. I have no choice. I have to give this child back to God. I have to give up my desires and dreams and rest in His care. I have to surrender. I am in process. Surrender is scary. I have no control. I have no answers. But I do serve a God who does and He is faithful. My hope is that He chooses to give this baby life outside the womb. My hope is that this baby is a boy and that we can welcome him into our family in March of 2009. My hope is that the words Laura spoke some 4 years ago will become easier with time. My hope is that I will surrender to the pain.

My hope is in Jesus Christ.

10 comments:

Tim Walker August 31, 2008 6:54 AM  

You are amazing and I am blessed. I love you.

Sharon August 31, 2008 9:09 AM  

Oh yes Tim, you are very, very blessed.

Rebecca,
You are so awesome and I appreciate that you have shared with us--this offering from your heart to Jesus.

Father, Creator and Sustainer of life, please help Rebecca to "Surrender to the pain." Please draw Rebecca into Yourself and snuggle with her as she longs to snuggle with this new life growing inside her.
Oh Lord, I praise You because You are worthy of all praise, trustworthy in all that You do and because You know the pain that suffering brings. May You receive great glory through this new adventure--walking hand and hand with the Walker family.
In Jesus Name I continue to pray . . .
I Love and miss you all so much :)

Megan August 31, 2008 11:55 AM  

wow...

I don't even know what to say...

you are such an encouragement.


i love you rebecca!

Kacey August 31, 2008 5:21 PM  

Me neither. I'm scared too. Not just for you, but also for my someday. Will I, too, love and lose? I am praying for you both.

Heath Clan August 31, 2008 8:52 PM  

I too hope for you to have a boy that you may hold in your arms in March. My heart is so very heavy with your hopes and fears. I wish I could do it for you. I love you so very much. Your kids are so blessed to have you as a mom.

I know that God is faithful. He is worthy. Some wise man I heard once said that bravery didn't mean you weren't afraid, but continued in the face of fear. You are so very brave and wonderful. I also understand being scared to love a child because of crushing loss. It is so very hard to return them to the Lord.

I am here for you and praying for you. If you need anything let me know!

Shelley September 01, 2008 5:59 AM  

Rebecca, I'm praying for you. I experienced the same fear when I found out I was pregnant with our 6th. God's hand will be on you.

CDJ September 01, 2008 9:00 AM  

I have no words....just love, loads of tearful, wanting-to-hug-you love. (ok, a couple words, but mainly love :)Thank you for sharing.

Patricia September 01, 2008 9:09 AM  

I'm praying for you Rebecca and the precious gift of life inside of you. Love,Patty

Libby September 01, 2008 12:44 PM  

I love you! Thanks for sharing your story!

Kathy September 01, 2008 2:13 PM  

Thank you for sharing Rebecca. You have articulated so well how I have felt. I have been praying for you and your baby. Thank you for your blog...it is a constant source of wisdom and encouragement.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP