Quick Tip

>> Tuesday, August 12, 2008

If you are the owner of one of those fancy self cleaning ovens, I have a piece of advice for you. Maybe you already know this and for you this piece of advice will be a big, fat DUH! But there are those of us out there who are just a bit slower than the rest. Before you read on, please know I did actually looked for the book that comes with the oven so I could read the directions on how to use the self cleaner. But somehow it has mysteriously disappeared from the bottom filing cabinet drawer. Go figure. So I took it upon myself to get this job done. Not just done, but done with style.

I pulled everything from the oven before locking the door and hitting the self cleaning button. About 20 minutes into the cycle, smoke came billowing out from under all 4 burners. The kitchen was filled with nasty, thick smoke omitting a stench that no one should ever have to smell.

You see, my dear, darling son decided to buy the family dinner the other night. He purchased pizza and burritos. He cooked the pizza first, then the burritos. What he failed to realize was that the burritos needed to be on a cookie sheet. One thing lead to another and 1/2 of each burrito ended up on the bottom of the oven. Now fast forward 3 days.

There were these disgusting piles of burrito bean on the bottom of my oven. Most of you would know the importance of wiping them away before hitting the clean button. But no, not me. I had to leave them. As if this was some science project or something. "Class...to what temperature do we need to bring the oven before we can all die of smoke inhalation? I don't know...but let's find out."

And so my simple, yet immensely important piece of advice...clean out any remnant of food before starting the self cleaning cycle. Three hours later my eyes still burn, my nostrils hurt, I can't quit sneezing and my house reeks.

3 comments:

Megan August 13, 2008 5:14 PM  

aww poor you... thanks for the advice! This so sounds like something i would do.

Amy B from Bullard August 13, 2008 7:00 PM  

Listen that doesn't help, your eyes will still burn and it will still stink up the whole house either way....Gag, I'm speaking from experience when we were moving from Forney. We actually had to leave the house it was so bad.

Michele @ Frugal Granola August 14, 2008 7:51 PM  

Oh no! :)

We've had some oven-cleaning disasters too.

Once, Calvin decided to turn on the "Self-Cleaning" feature on our oven. But something went wrong, and it never unlocked! Days later, he finally took the whole thing apart so that we could use it again! :)

Years later (now using some toxic oven cleaner), Calvin decided to clean the oven by hand. While home with baby Gen one afternoon, he sprayed the cleaner in the oven, and then forgot about it. (You know, those sleep-deprived parenting moments, when you forget to tell each other important details?) :)

The next morning, while he was at work, I decided to bake some muffins. Gen & I were quickly gassed out of the house by toxic fumes! :) I called him at work, and said "Help! There's something wrong with the oven!"

"Oh." He said. "Um...Well... I was cleaning the oven.... and I forgot.... Sorry!" :)

Oops. Hope you're all recovered now!
Blessings,
Michele :)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP