The Making of Soft Pretzels

>> Monday, April 05, 2010

This afternoon I was itchin' to get in the kitchen and bake something. It just happened to be the perfect time for an afternoon snack. I opened up The Amish Cook's Baking Book and decided to stir up a batch of soft pretzels. Lucas was my helper, and together, we made some mean soft pretzels. Unfortunately, the book belongs to our local library and is due tomorrow. So in an attempt to keep this recipe on hand, I am going to post it on my blog. You just might enjoy making some yourself.
Soft Pretzels
(makes 6 medium pretzels)

1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup warm water
1 3/4 cups bread flour
1 large egg
Coarse salt for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet. Mix and dissolve the yeast, sugar, and salt in the warm water. Stir in the flour until a ball forms. Put the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Divide and roll the dough into 6 small ropes and shape into pretzel shapes. Place on the baking sheet. Beat the egg and brush on the unbaked pretzels. Sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake until they are a light golden color, about 10 minutes.
Here is Lucas, in complete concentration, brushing on the beaten raw egg.

I must say...I am quite pleased with our efforts.

4 comments:

Sharon,  April 05, 2010 7:57 PM  

Yummmmmmmmmmm :) You should be pleased :) I can smell them all the way here :)
Love you and glad to see you for a second on Sunday ;)
Sharon

CDJ,  April 05, 2010 8:22 PM  

wow! they're like starchy little hugs:)!!!
love it!

Felicity,  April 05, 2010 10:52 PM  

Seems like a really interesting book! The pretzels look good too!

My Memories Are Not Your Memories,  April 07, 2010 7:50 AM  

Homemade pretzels!!! Yummo! Such a fun afternoon treat! Found your blog through Felicity's ~ your title caught my eye. Blessings, EMichelle

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP