A Lesson Learned
>> Sunday, January 20, 2008
Sunday morning is not the most appropriate time to write a post. But I feel this matter is of utmost importance. If for nothing else, it will serve as a reminder to myself in the future as I go back and read what I have written.
Life is short and our children grow up FAST, way too FAST. I've heard this many times over the years but I think it may finally be sinking in. Last week, Justin took his driving test and upon successful completion, obtained his permit. We now have a teenage driver in our home. It seems as if he was born just yesterday, but no...that was 17 years ago. Seventeen years have flown by.
Seventeen years ago, when Justin was a baby, I was busy. Too busy. Too busy working, too busy socializing, too busy cleaning, too busy hanging out....too busy to hold my baby. And this pattern continued over the years through a few more babies. But God is actively taking a hold of my heart and I am slowly learning that time with my children is short.
Last night Larah went to bed at 7:00. For some reason or other she woke up at 9:00, thinking it was time to rise and shine. In previous years, I would have gone into her room, laid her back down and told her to go to sleep. She probably would have cry and protested, until finally crying herself to sleep. But as I learn that time with my baby is precious and fleeting, I took this opportunity to hold her. I picked her up, held her in my arms and cuddled with her for an hour and 10 minutes until she finally drifted off to sleep. During the hour and ten minutes that I held her, I marveled at God's gift to me. I sang to her. I prayed for her. I rubbed her face. I smelled her hair. I cried. I cried out of sadness that I didn't take these opportunities with our first children and I cried out of joy, for God has continued to bless me with more babies. I cannot go back and fix my yesterdays but I can learn from them and I can live today. Today I will slow down and hold my baby. Today I will not be too busy.



2 comments:
You have always been an amazing mom. Thanks for sharing your journey...I'm blessed by your sensitive and humble spirit. Love you
And she is a beautiful baby. I am so glad that she is healthy and hearty.
I am learning, as well, that the laundry will still be there. My children's childhood is fleeting. I so enjoy rocking my baby and smelling her hair.
You are a great example as a mom.
By the way, did you know you shouldn't start a grammatically correct sentence with and?
Post a Comment